Saturday, September 15, 2012

STOP! Save on Groceries and Gas



The single-me loved grocery shopping.  I had a very low budget, no more than $40 per week. Luckily, since I lived alone, I could eat simply--any where from beans and rice or peanut butter and crackers to eggs and toast with an apple or banana thrown in here and there.  I was a "starving" assistant for a non-profit, but I didn't mind it.  It was my first real job!

Grocery shopping at that time was relaxing: almost like window shopping.  The temperature was a cool relief from the Texas heat and the music was soft rock with a lean toward elevator music.  The isles were neatly laid out, colorful with so much to see as I slowly strolled down the isles! It was really exciting if there were free samples available! Heck, I could have a free meal on them.

When I got married and found out that my hippie husband was a traditionalist when it came to dinner.  He announced after I sat a sandwich in front of him, "I prefer a hot meal for dinner." And forget about breakfast for dinner:  no omelets, scrambled eggs, pancakes or biscuits and gravy (some of my favorite dinner faire).  Huh?  So I saved those for when he was out of town.

Now we have two kids ages 10 and 13.  Have you ever seen how much a 13 year old boy can eat? It makes me want to throw up just watching him!  So, now that I have to cut costs, save on groceries and push through this recession mess, I'm now cutting coupons, looking for deals and making organized lists before I go.  BTW:  I am NOT an Extreme Coupon mom.  Too much for me to organize and store!  More power to them!

Then I discovered Stop and Shop http://www.stopandshop.com/home.htm.  You can save on food and earm Gas Points for more savings when you purchase your gas at a Shell station:  http://www.stopandshop.com/savings/shell_program.htm?linkid=SN.  For every dollar you spend, you earn 100 points per dollar. Then, when you go to Shell Gas Station, you type in your Stop and Shop code or swipe your card and it automatically deducts the savings.  When I fill up, I average 30 cents per gallon  savings on about a 17 gallon purchased.  I fill up once a week, so on average per year, I save at least $245.
 
My best tip for using clipped coupons is to use them to make your grocery list.  Yes, a GROCERY LIST!  Don't leave home without it, a pen, and a fist full of coupons. You can get coupons out of your weekly mailer, but also on-line.  My favorites are http://www.coupons.com/  and http://www.redplum.com/. Write down exactly what you need, so you don't have to go back and forth with your coupons figuring out the rules for usage.  Also, grab the circular when you get there:  there are even more coupons!

Hopefully you are luckily enough to have a Stop and Shop in your state.  Not only do they double coupons under $1.00, they have their own in-store coupons AND coupons on line you and print yourself:  http://www.stopandshop.com/savings/coupons.htm?linkid=SN .  It doesn't stop there: they have coupons that spit out self checkout for the things that are in your cart to use on following trips.  Twice I found a coupon for $10 off your next order that someone forgot to grab, so I used it on my purchase. Leave no coupon un-turned!

If you don't have a Stop and Shop rewards card, go directly to customer service and sign up.https://www.stopandshop.com/account/login.htm?opco=SNS  It is free!  The program will automatically apply the coupons for you.  If you use their smartphone app called Scan It or their personal scanners, http://www.stopandshop.com/savings/coupons.htm?linkid=SN, it shows you personal coupons right on the screen.   It just might be fore something you need. 

The last time I went to Stop and Shop, I saved over $85 and earned 20 cents off my Shell Gasoline!  My average savings per trip is about $50 and I go about 3 times a month, so on average per year, I save at least $1,800!

It does take a little more time to do all these things, but think about how much you are "paying" yourself by saving!  Not bad for a days' work.

Total Savings:
Gas:  $245
Groceries: $1,800
Grand Total per Year: $2,045

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any tips on saving money or cutting costs?