Monday, September 17, 2012

Fast Cheap Dinner for Four to Save: Tomato Soup

I'm always on the look out for how to save money on dinner Especially during this recession.  I need easy, inexpensive, fast dinners for my whirlwind family.  One night, I discovered that my pantry and fridge were pretty bare.  No time to go to the grocery store!  Plus, I didn't really want to. If you remember, I've sworn off take out and going out to dinner.

After a search, I found two cans of Hunts Diced Tomatoes with Garlic, Basil, and Oregano.  Hey, no chopping, sautéing and smelly garlic hands!  I tossed 2 cans of this in a medium pot along with a small can of regular Hunts Tomato Sauce and about 1/2-1 cup vegetable stock (any stock will do). I always keep a jar of bullion cubes for when I need a small amount of stock.  I used my immersion blender (or you can plop everything in your own regular blender) and zapped it until it was smooth.  I added more stock until it was the consistency I wanted and salt and peppered to taste.  Didn't really need a lot salt, so beware.  Heat it up.  Done!

You can serve this delicious, inexpensive, money saving soup alone with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and/or with bread, grilled cheese, side salad or, our favorite way, with mozzarella quesadillas.

If you want to beef it up a bit, after blending, toss in a can of small white navy beans and any small pasta shells.  Just make sure you have enough stock for a soupy consistency.  At this point, I would use a can of stock instead of making a bunch of bullion.

Average Cost of Going Out:  $40
Average Cost of Basic Soup: $3.50 for 4 servings
Savings:  $36.50

1 comment:

  1. Tracie, this is a fantastic idea. Going to give it a try. Thanks for these great ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Do you have any tips on saving money or cutting costs?